22 Feb 2012

What shall we do about Syria? An ode to interventionism.


What shall we do about Syria?
I am a film star and I need a cause to adopt.

What shall we do about Syria?
I am an expert on foreign policy and foreign policy is always about making the world a better place.

What shall we do about Syria?
I am a western politician and I really care.

What shall we do about Syria?
I am a journalist who has lots of friends in Syria and I spent a summer there once and I am really torn about this.

What shall we do about Syria?
I am a columnist who can’t stand the sight of more bloodshed.

What shall we do about Syria?
I am an ordinary citizen who wants to live ethically.

What shall we do about Syria?
I am an artist who shoulders the burdens of humanity.

What shall we do about Syria?
Because it’s about us. It’s so about us and how we perceive ourselves. What kind of human beings we want to be. It’s not about the Syrian people. The Syrian people are now victims to be rescued so that we could affirm our moral superiority. We will resurrect all the historical analogies about turning a blind eye. Because we feel it deep inside. This is about us. Why don’t you get that? You just want to turn a blind eye to the bloodshed.

This is about us and we know what’s best for Syria. We understand Syria. We feel we know Syria. All the complexities have melted away.

What shall we do about Syria? This is our ethical struggle now. This is about us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Karl reMarks is a blog about Middle East politics and culture with a healthy dose of satire.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.